Dornoch Royal Arch Chapter No 374 History

An extract taken from the minute book following the meeting on 14th November 1912 at Lodge St Gilbert reads:- "The R.W.M. informed the meeting of a desire among the Brethren that a Royal Arch Chapter should be formed and that five of the Brethren were recently made Royal Arch Masons.

Royal Arch Masons of Tain and Invergordon Chapters agreed to assist in the formation of a Chapter in Dornoch.

The five brethren who were R.A.M.'s were to approach the Office Bearers of St Gilbert to advance the funds to form the Chapter."On 28th November 1912 the minute reads:- "St Gilberts Lodge agreed to advance the funds on terms agreed by the Office Bearers, a sum of £50 was suggested."

On the 26th December of that same year a meeting was held in the Masonic Hall, Dornoch, present were the five members of St Gilbert's who had been made Royal Arch Masons,

James Rideout
David G.Murray
William Dunbar
Harry E. Rattray
D. F. MacLeod

and the Office Bearers of Lodge St Gilbert, they agreed that the newly formed Chapter would be called the Dornoch Royal Arch.